We feel it important here to note that BIMHN is not a service provider. We are happy to provide signposting to a number of other services that operate both in Bristol and nationally. If you, or someone you know, is in a situation where they are likely to cause harm to themselves or others, please dial 999.
BIMHN is not responsible for any external websites, services and their content. We provide these links and contact information in good faith. This list was last reviewed and updated in September 2019.
Support in a mental health crisis
The Bristol Mental Health Crisis Line (24 hours) is staffed by dedicated clinical staff who can assist and respond to a crisis. Call them on 0300 555 0334
The Bristol Sanctuary can provide a place to go during an episode of acute mental or emotional distress.
- You can call them on 0117 9542952 or text to 07709 295 661.
- The Sanctuary is located at 1 New Street, St Jude’s, Bristol, BS2 9DX.
- Current operating times (Friday to Monday 6pm – 00:30am)
Accident and Emergency departments can also provide support. The following list is of Accident and Emergency departments in the Bristol area. All are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including bank holidays.
- Southmead Emergency Department (Brunel building, Southmead Hospital, Southmead Road, Bristol, BS10 5NB)
- Bristol Royal Infirmary Emergency Department (Upper Maudlin Street, Bristol, BS2 8HW)
- Bristol Royal Hospital for Children (16 and under) Emergency Department (Paul O’Gorman Building, Upper Maudlin Street, Bristol, BS2 8BJ)
Your local GP surgery may be able to schedule you an emergency appointment. For more details, call your local surgery. Additionally, the NHS’ ‘111’ telephone service may also be able to arrange an appointment for you.
If you, or someone you know, has, or is likely to harm themselves, please dial 999.
MindLine (Weds-Sun, 8pm-12am) – 0808 808 0330
Samaritans (24 hours) – 0117 983 1000 (local call charges apply) / 116 123 (free to call)
Papyrus HOPELine (Mon-Fri: 9am-10pm / Weekends and Bank holidays: 2-10pm) – 0800 068 4141 or text 07786 209 697
YoungMinds (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-4pm) – helpline for parents’ – 0808 802 5544
Mindline Trans+ (Mondays & Fridays, 8pm-12am) – 0300 330 5468
YoungMinds Crisis Messenger Service (24 hours) – text ‘YM’ to 85258 for support via text.
Bristol University Halls of Residence: 24 hour residential helplines are available to assist in a mental health crisis.
- West Residential Village: 0117 42 83301
- East Residential Village: 0117 42 83302
- North Residential Village: 0117 42 83300
- Halls security team: 0117 3311 223
Bristol Nightline: non-advisory, anonymous and confidential listening service. Operating between 20:00 – 08:00 every day during term time, on 0117 9266 266
UWE Student Wellbeing Service
Bristol University Student Counselling Service
Bristol University Wellbeing Service
- The Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS) and the Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS) are dedicated out-patient services available across England. For information on how to access these services, please click here, call 0300 365 0300, or email email@example.com.
Mental Health Conditions
[Please note – this section is currently being expanded. If you’d like to see something specifically added, get in touch with us!)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (‘OCD’) – two national charities can provide specific advice, guidance, signposting and support; OCD Action and OCD-UK.